Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The POW


                                   POW Camp in Remagen, Germany



My stepfather of almost 47 years has suffered his third stroke.  This massive one  has affected most of his right brain.  The other two happened with the past couple of months.  Each has successively and significantly impaired his mobility and mental faculties.  This last one has rendered him speechless and "lethargic".  I've learned that's a euphemism the medical community has invented to denote endless sleeping.  My brother sent me a photo of Sam from his hospital bed yesterday.  He is almost unrecognizable.  Sunken closed eyes, mouth agape, shriveled.  All I could think of were the stories that Sam used to tell us about his six months as a POW in a German camp after The Battle of the Bulge.  He's ending his life as a POW.  His body is his prison.

Sam is not my father.  He tried to be my father.  I'm trying to be his daughter.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Curtis. It's quite an awful situation. Sam is having a miserable decline. His dignity has been stolen from him along with most everything else. Nell

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great thing that he tried to be your father, and that you are making an effort in return. One hopes he is resting and not suffering. Please don't forget to rest yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Chris. I hope he isn't suffering. Apparently, he responds to cues to squeeze someone's hand and is responsive to pressure on his right side. I would like to think that he is basically unaware of his circumstances, and is resting peacefully. Just the thought of him feeling distraught and helpless is terribly distressing. I suddenly am realizing how much he means to me. After all this time, I realize how much I love him. Nell

    ReplyDelete