Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Dark Secret

I checked my blog statistics today and discovered a fascinating number.  Although the vast majority of pageviews originated in the United States, there were 19 Russian ones.  For completeness, I should mention that there were two others, one from Germany and the other from Australia.

Unfortunately, there is no way for me to know whether these pageviews were serendipitous or the result of a search.  I would like to imagine that my Russian audience searched for  "Psychoanalysis" and found my blog.


                                                  Nighttime in Moscow

Although  psychoanalysis was banned there in the late 1920s, with the arrival of Glasnost, Freud and psychoanalysis have experienced a small, but growing, revival in Russia.  I am very happy to learn that, and delighted to be a part of the global psychoanalytic community.

One of the reasons I decided to write this blog is that I don't personally know anyone who has any experience with psychoanalysis.  In fact, I have neighbors who don't know what it is.  I believe this might be a reflection of the particular culture in my decidedly non-cosmopolitan community. Even the few people I have trusted with this information, who do have some conception of its meaning, quickly change the subject, as if I've said a dirty word.  It is one of the reasons why psychoanalysis not only feels like lonely work, it feels like a dark secret.



Radio Free Europe, Claire Bigg
Post-Soviet Society Embraces Psychoanalysis--Again
http://www.rferl.org/articleprintview/1068196.html

Freud in Russia - Return of the Repressed, Allessandra Stanley, New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/11/world/freud-in-russia-return-of-the-repressed.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm afraid I have the same experience after over 25 years in psychoanalysis. I don't know whether to share the fact that I'm in psychoanalysis or not. It is not an easy answer. Many people are not sure what psychoanalysis is and don't distinguish between types of psychotherapies. I usually keep the experience/information to myself, unless I have established a pretty secure trust and friendship. But I also try not to consider the experience/information/secret as "dark".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. 25 years! I wish I had begun years ago. By comparison, I am a novice analysand. After reflecting upon your comment, I'm not sure "dark" is the correct word. I'm not sure what is. Yet, when people ask why I drive into the city every day, I tell them that I am doing volunteer work. I despise having to lie, and I suppose I could say that I have "a commitment".

    I become weary and angry after listening to everything my "friends" want to share with me about their own lives without being able to share my own. However, I'm adjusting. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete