Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Mother's Legacy

     Although it was a bit late,  I decided to call my mother last night. "I have nothing new to tell you.  Everything's okay here.  No news is good news.  It's the same old story", my mother said.  "It's a good story, Ma.  Nothing is new here either.  I'll call you in the morning.  I love you.  Good night, Ma", I replied.  "I love you, too, dear", she answered in turn.  I hated to hang up the phone.  I was so happy to hear her sounding so calm since she has been so miserable and frightened for the past week and more.  I'm sure she had no idea my heart was breaking. She didn't know what I knew.

     Before speaking with her, my brother had called to tell me that her move to the Memory Unit is scheduled for today.



     During that earlier conversation, my brother and I seemed to be speaking at each other rather than with each other.  He was focused on the logistics of the move.  I wanted to talk about our feelings.  Against my better judgement, I warily tacked into uncharted waters.  I had been thinking about something odd, and wanted his opinion.  My mother has had no trouble recalling my name, his name, or my step-sister's name (someone she rarely sees).  Perhaps she kept forgetting my step-father's name, and sometimes his very existence, because she was enraged at what she perceived as his abandonment of her.

     I hoped he would give some thought to my idea.  However, my brother summarily rejected my hypothesis and, moreover, my "psychoanalytic take on things". Feeling wounded, my reply was instantaneous and rather bitter.  I heard myself reacting the same way my mother used to react to me when I had said something with which she didn't agree.  "End of conversation", I said.  But I regrouped and tried to salvage our tenuous connection.  The rest of our talk revolved around a less controversial subject, my niece, the heart of my brother's life. The call ended pleasantly enough.  My mother's legacy is not destined for the Memory Unit. 

4 comments:

  1. The resentful dismissal of the "psychoanalytic take on things" is a familiar experience. The idea of an unconscious that subtly generates myriad transformations of which we may be unaware is intrinsically unsettling. Of course, it can also feel liberating, but that generally takes lots of time and work with the right person.

    It sounds like you initially wanted to speak about your own feelings, but moved to speculation about your mother's feelings. I've often made this kind of move myself, and wondered afterwards why.

    The hasty retreat to the niece who lies at the heart of your brother's life -- I've made this move too, far too often. Safety is good, but one can have too much of even this good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience with this kind of "resentful dismissal". When I discussed this with Dr. B. today, she suggested that my brother's reaction may have been prompted by his own fears about his own sublimated feelings. It sounded right to me, but his remark hurt nonetheless, and made me feel angry and isolated.

    I have begun to feel liberated; but it comes and goes, generally within the course of a day. My voice is getting stronger though. I don't think I would have expressed my feelings so openly to my brother six months ago.

    You're right. I did want to talk about my feelings. But my brother generally shuts me down very quickly, almost before I've said a complete thought. I suppose the shift to my mother's feelings might have been a sort of revenge. I was determined make him to talk about someone's feelings. I'll have to think about that.

    Talking about my niece is mildly safe. There are some issues there as well that I have never addressed with my brother. Nothing about my conversations with him feel safe. I'm always on guard and generally presenting a false self at some point. Part of my dilemma is that I miss him very much, and I keep trying to find some way to work toward a closer connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which is better -- presenting a false self to the family, or having no communication with them at all? At times this can seem like a very real question. At other times for me it's less a question of a false self and more one of no self. Even though I'm there, in the room with them all, I seem to seek to disappear. On those occasions it's a choice between no communication and -- no communication.

    All of this in spite of the real wish to make that closer connection. The recognition of progress, even if halting and flawed, is encouraging.

    Hard work is right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know which is better. I'd like another choice in addition to the "false self" option or the "no communication" option. Currently, I'm trying to be authentic and civil while trying to protect myself from attack. Certainly, I understand what you mean about being present with no self. In fact, I've become so agitated at times that I've needed to physically leave the group to recuperate. No one ever comes to see if anything is wrong, of course, while I'm trying to calm down.

      It is very hard work. I'm steeling myself for a conversation with my brother tomorrow, and am expecting the worst. Perhaps, I will be surprised. I've never lost hope.

      Delete