Friday, April 6, 2012

Feeling Guilty Today

My step-sister called yesterday to tell me that my 99 year-old step-father was taken to the hospital after suffering a "sub-acute CVA" .  He had a stroke.  This comes after a couple of months of many small strokes, each one resulting in increased left-side weakness and a corresponding decrease in his ability to move.  This latest episode has left him weaker, and has slurred his speech. To complicate matters, my nearly 92-year-old mother is afflicted with Alzheimer's, and is understandably distraught.  Suddenly, she needs me.  "Where are you? Please come see me.  I'm all alone."





Although I love my mother, and a casual observer might say she and I were close, I would not use that word to describe our connection.   In fact, more than 30 years ago, I left New York for North Carolina with sixty dollars in my pocket to try to escape her life-squelching power.

Yet, I am feeling guilty today.  I feel that I should go to her, to be with her, to try to comfort her, and to let her know she is not alone.  But I don't want to go.  

I suppose some daughters would immediately hop on a plane, or jump in the car to rush to her side.  But I am procrastinating.  Should I forgive her?  Should I put aside the decades of neglect and rejection?  Should I be the dutiful daughter, despite my ambivalence?

She has 24-hour care, and my brother is close by and will be visiting her.  It's not as though she is unattended.  But I am her daughter.

Will my guilt outweigh my deep-seated long-term unresolved anger?  Usually, it does.  I'm not so sure it will this time.  However, when I spoke to my mother on the phone this morning, my heart melted.  I suppose I inherited some of my father's temperament.  He was always the protector, the empath, the source of unconditional love.  My conflicted feelings don't surprise me.  However, it remains to be seen which feeling will triumph this time.

7 comments:

  1. Guilt always seems to come with the territory of mother daughter relationships, doesn't it?

    Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does. You might be seeing me one of these days. Thank you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it's not just guilt that might overcome the anger, but also love. So it's a three-way competition at the very least.

    I face roughly this conflict all the time (including next weekend). Both my parents are 92, and my sister is the main caretaker. The sibling dimension is another source of complexity.

    Good luck, good luck! May you reach a solution that brings peace, in this most challenging situation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,

    So very perceptive. I had neglected to include love in the mix. Why? Something else for me to ponder. Perhaps I've come to equate (mistakenly) obligation with love. Another thought from a darker place: maybe I want to withhold my love as punishment. Not a kind side of me, but something to consider.

    The "sibling dimension", as you put it so well, is indeed a complicating factor, which I try not to think about. I'm the oldest of the three. We're a year apart, with my step-sister in the middle. Although our step-family never quite jelled, we keep trying to get closer, and are making a bit of progress. At least, that's how I'm feeling about it today.

    I so appreciate your good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris,

    I neglected to say that I can't imagine coping with this kind of intense conflict as often as you. (Well, actually, I can, and it sounds incredibly difficult). I hope it gets easier.

    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope so too. I bet that in a way you're facing it as often as I am. It's never really absent, even if I am (or they are).

    In addition to wishing you peace, I also wish you (and me) a sense of MOTION. Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right about your hunch. These feelings are always with me, they just don't always take center stage.

    Yes, a toast to MOTION! Spring is a wonderful tonic.

    ReplyDelete